Is Philodendron Toxic to Cats?
Is Philodendron Toxic to Cats?

Our feline friends hold a special place in our hearts, and as cat owners, we want to ensure their safety and well-being. But we also appreciate the beauty of indoor plants, such as Philodendrons. If you’re concerned about Is Philodendron Toxic to Cats? rest assured that with some precautions, knowledge of symptoms, and appropriate treatment, you can safely enjoy these plants in your home.

What is Philodendron?

Philodendrons are flowering plants that belong to the Araceae family, native to Central and South America. They come in various species and varieties, with heart-shaped leaves that make them popular as houseplants. Some common types include the Heartleaf Philodendron, Horsehead Philodendron, and Red Princess Philodendron.

Are Philodendrons Toxic to Cats?

Yes, Philodendrons are toxic to cats. All parts of the plant contain toxic substances, with a moderate level of toxicity. The main concern is the presence of insoluble calcium oxalate crystals. These crystals, similar to those found in human kidney stones, are formed by cells within the plant tissue as a defense mechanism.

How Does Philodendron Poisoning Occur?

When cats chew on Philodendron leaves, the insoluble calcium oxalate crystals can cause severe pain and discomfort. The crystals can get stuck in their oral cavity, leading to symptoms such as agitation, pawing at the face, drooling, foaming, coughing, trouble swallowing, and gastrointestinal issues. Ingesting large amounts of the plant can result in respiratory problems and abdominal pain.

Recognizing Philodendron Poisoning in Cats

If you suspect that your cat has ingested parts of your philodendron plant, you may notice some symptoms. While most cats will stop chewing on the plant as soon as they taste the bitter taste and feel acute pain, some cats may have ingested enough plant material to begin exhibiting signs of poisoning.

Pawing at the face

The first sign to look out for is a severe burning sensation. This can create agitation and pawing at the face, mouth, tongue, and lips. Your cat may also begin drooling and foaming at the mouth. Additionally, you may notice your cat coughing or showing signs of difficulty swallowing or choking. If you notice any of these symptoms, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately.

Difficult in breathing

If your cat has ingested large amounts of philodendron, they may experience respiratory problems, oral irritation in the upper airway, and abdominal pain with intense burning resulting in gastrointestinal tract problems. Severe cases may even result in paralysis, seizures, and even death.

Vomiting

If you suspect that your cat has ingested philodendron, do not induce vomiting as this can cause more harm. Instead, you should contact the pet poison helpline or your veterinarian immediately for professional advice and guidance.

Treating Philodendron Poisoning in Cats

If you notice excessive drooling, you can rinse your cat’s mouth with milk or water to alleviate discomfort. However, rinsing alone is not sufficient, and veterinary treatment is necessary. The severity of poisoning can vary, but in most cases, the symptoms subside within 24 hours without long-term effects.

When you visit the vet, they may rinse the mouth, tongue, and lips with cold water and administer calcium-containing products to reduce pain. The vet may also perform tests, prescribe pain relievers or antihistamines, and provide intravenous fluids if needed. Your cat might be kept under observation until the airway swelling subsides.

Further more, a veterinarian may perform a flush on the feline’s oral cavity and suggest medication like Kapectolin to coat any remaining needles. If the cat is dehydrated due to vomiting and diarrhea, intravenous fluids can be given to treat it.

In severe cases, where the ingestion of Philodendron results in breathing problems, oxygen therapy can be provided. Administering antihistamines orally is preferable, but if that is not possible due to oral cavity irritation, an intramuscular injection may be given. The use of antihistamines will help reduce swelling and reaction caused by calcium oxalate crystals. Oral administration of Sucralfate may help create a paste that forms a barrier between stomach acid and its contents, preventing more calcium oxalate needles from embedding in the gastrointestinal tract.

Sucralfate medication can be given orally to your cat, ideally in paste form due to its reaction with stomach acid. This paste acts as a barrier between the stomach and its contents, deterring the further embedding of calcium oxalate “needles” in the gastrointestinal tract. In the case of interference with your cat’s breathing due to swelling, hospitalization is necessary, and close monitoring is essential until normal breathing is restored.

Safety Precautions for Cat Owners

To ensure your cat’s safety around Philodendron plants, consider the following precautions:

  • Display plants out of reach: Place Philodendrons in areas that are inaccessible to your cat, such as hanging baskets or elevated shelves.
  • Offer cat-friendly alternatives: Provide safe, non-toxic plants or grasses for your cat to chew on as a distraction.
  • Monitor and train your cat: Keep an eye on your cat’s interactions with plants and discourage chewing or playing with them. Train your cat to avoid chewing on plants and provide engaging toys and scratching posts as alternatives.
  • Educate yourself: Learn about other toxic plants and common household hazards to create a safe environment for your cat. Stay updated with reliable sources and consult your veterinarian for guidance.

Conclusion

While Philodendrons are toxic to cats, it is possible to enjoy their beauty indoors by taking necessary precautions and being aware of the symptoms of Philodendron poisoning. By prioritizing your cat’s safety, seeking veterinary assistance when needed, and creating a cat-friendly environment, you can ensure a harmonious coexistence between your beloved pet and your plants.

FAQ

Is Philodendron really toxic to cats?

Yes, Philodendron plants contain calcium oxalate crystals which are poisonous to cats if ingested. The crystals can cause irritation in the mouth, throat, and digestive tract which can lead to vomiting, drooling, and difficulty swallowing.

Are all species of Philodendron toxic to cats?

Yes, all species of Philodendron are toxic to cats.

If my cat has ingested some parts of the Philodendron, what should I do?

If you suspect that your cat has ingested any part of the Philodendron, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. They will give you specific instructions on what to do next based on the severity of the situation.

Are there any warning signs that my cat has ingested Philodendron?

Yes, common warning signs of Philodendron ingestion in cats include vomiting, drooling, lack of appetite, and difficulty swallowing.

Can I keep Philodendron in my home if I have cats?

It is generally not recommended to keep Philodendron plants in homes with cats or other pets that may chew on plants. If you really want to keep Philodendron, consider keeping it in an area that your cat cannot access, such as on a high shelf or behind a closed door.

What are some safe alternatives to Philodendron for cat owners?

Cat-friendly plants such as Spider Plant, Boston Fern, and Beauty Star can be good alternatives to Philodendron for cat owners who want to keep plants in their homes.

Send comment